7 Tips for Successful Gift Giving
If you’re like me, fairly human, then you are still working through a lengthy list of people for whom you still need to get Christmas gifts. For those of you who completed your Christmas shopping in August, God bless you; you are a special breed indeed. What works for me, and may not work for everyone, are the 7 guidelines listed below that I use for giving any type of gift anytime of the year. Check em out, they’re truly golden:
- It’s all about you – Don’t believe the hype. When giving a gift it is actually all about you. It’s about what you want the person to have out of the kindness of your heart.
- It’s all about them – Giving a gift is also all about the person receiving the gift. It is you wanting them to have something special that is from you, but it is TO and FOR them.
- Cost is an issue – There is a difference between an inexpensive gift and a cheap gift. Always, always, always lean on the side of inexpensive rather than cheap. If you have to go cheap it’s best not to give a gift at all.
- Cost is not an issue – Although one should not put themselves further in debt to provide a gift, a gift has more value when it costs something to give it.
- Presentation doesn’t matter – I am the worst gift wrapper of all time, literally. So, I lean heavily towards the gift bag. In some cases, I have handed the person the box straight from Amazon and watched as the person eagerly opened the gift.
- Presentation does matter – The right gift given at the right time can truly overcome the lack of a decorative covering.
- Shop Early – Although you may not do the physical shopping early, you can do the virtual shopping anytime of the year. Make lists of things you notice about the person, their needs, their likes, what makes them happy. And yes, there is an app for that…literally hundreds of apps for making gift lists.
Suffice it to say that all of the above is Biblically based. When I think about the birth of Jesus Christ, God’s gift to humanity, it was all about God giving a very precious and special gift to us. God’s gift wasn’t what humanity thought it needed, and some still don’t think they need God’s gift today. But He gave His Son to us out of the love and mercy in His own heart. And it was a gift that He determined we should have from the very beginning of time.
This entry was posted on December 6, 2012 at 14:37 and is filed under Bible, Christian, Christmas, Devotion, Digital, Family, Fun, Global, God, Jesus Christ, Life, Real Talk, Social Media, Uncategorized with tags Bible, Birth of Christ, Christmas, Family, gifts, giving, God, Jesus, Life. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.