7 Ways Christians Can Be Less Annoying
No matter what your religious belief you have probably heard someone complaining about Christians. It’s ok though, for the most part some Christians can be a little over the top or more aggressive than some would like in sharing about their relationship with God. But, as a Christ follower I can honestly say, what would you expect from someone talking about knowing the creator of the universe? That being said, there are some things that Christians can do to tone down the way the message is communicated without watering down the message:
7. Less Bible beat downs – Sometimes Christians start and end a conversation with scripture. This might be lost, or annoying, to someone who has never read the Bible. Imagine someone quoting a law from another country to you along with the law number, title, chapter, and date the law was approved (and all the amendments); yea, it’s like that. How about sharing the content and not beating people down with verse and chapters from a book that means nothing to them.
6. Less praying “at” others – Seriously, other people are not the enemy so Christians can stop praying at them. It’s great to offer to pray with someone, or offer to pray for someone, but praying at them…not cool (or biblical).
5. Less criticizing others for what they do or don’t believe – Imagine if someone criticized what you believed, what you trusted in, what you were raised to understand as right. That does not make people believe in God. It makes people believe that Christians are annoying.
4. Less inviting to church and more inviting into your life – It’s great that Christians invite people to their local congregations but there are 6 other days of the week. If we really want to be Christ like then we should invite people into our life.
3. Less yelling at people for not having faith – Of course they don’t have faith in your God or your Christ. Now, after pointing that out so loudly in front of everyone they no longer have faith in you.
2. Less pretending to have all the answers – Simply put, Christians don’t have all the answers. Admitting that to people is a huge step of faith…and a huge step towards being a little less annoying.
1. Less condemning people to hell – If the gospel is really such good news then spend a little time sharing the good news part. Sure there is a very real hell. That is not the good news. The good news is that there is a very real God who loves us so much that He gave His one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in Him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again…now that is pretty good news!